Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD Remix being created by a handful of Sonic faithful…
Late last year Racketboy.com created a post asking what Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (and 3) would look like if it was remastered in high definition, well his topic has started the fan developed Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD Remix. Being created by a handful of Sonic fans, the game will feature remastered tiles, sprites and music.
The purpose of the S2HD project is to remaster Sega’s classic Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in high definition graphics, whilst at the same time precisely preserving the original gameplay. New features that were not present in the original will also be made available. The S2HD project is always searching for new talent to aid us in our endeavour to resurrect and improve a timeless gaming classic. All of those significantly involved with the S2HD project readily understand that the birth of this venture was entirely due to enthusiastic individuals showcasing their artistic talents in the Sonic community. Collaboration rather than competition and encouragement as opposed to derision are therefore our most central philosophies.
The game will feature Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as playable characters. With recent high definition remastered games such as Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Bionic Commando, the project hopes to be in similar fashion. What else to expect from the high definition project:
● Remastered tiles, sprites and music
● New graphical effects when collecting rings, skidding, spin dashing, dust being kicked up when jumping and more
● Gameplay physics and collisions replicated from Sonic 2
● Both original and new sound effects
● 256 colors with 1 alpha
● Mp3/OGG/VGM music support
● Sonic & Tails as playable characters (Knuckles will later be added)
● All the original Sonic 2 Levels available, with an added Hidden Palace zone
● Remastered Special stages
● 360 degree rotation for slopes and loops (optionally enabled or disabled)
- Latest Discussion & Ideas (begins with early discussion)
- Music Remastered
- Programming/Engine Discussion
- Graphics Engine Discussion
The team is currently looking for more help on the project, which you can read their project summary for more information on Sonic the Hedgehog 2 HD Remix.