So who likes fun and games? Time to play The Bet Showdown. The San Deigo Sonic party is coming up, and the team here at TSSZ has made our predictions. What is going to happen at the party? What will the next Sonic game be like? Our pride is on the line and we’ve placed our bets below.
RULES & STAKES:
Each team picks bets an answer for each question. After the party, we will tally the results to see who bet more accurately. Each question is worth 1 point, unless otherwise noted.
The winner (who gets the most points) gets the coveted “Golden Big The Cat” award and exclusive bragging rights.
The loser (who gets the fewest points) must live-stream him/herself watching all the cutscenes/cinematics from Sonic 2006 (aprox. 2 hours). Shortly before streaming, the loser must tweet from their own personal twitter account: “I’m about to enjoy the greatest video game of all time, Sonic 06. It’s my favorite work of art of any medium,” with a link to the stream.
1. Will the next big Sonic game be announced at the San Diego party?
2. What will the next mainline Sonic game’s release date be? (Season and Year)
Lou: Spring 2017
Noah: Spring 2017 (this is all free, but I’ll go as far to say March 2017 as a release date)
Tristan: Spring 2017
Ryan: Before April 2017, (so technically Q4 2016, in business terms)
3. Will actual footage of the next Sonic be shown at the party?
(questions 4-6 are nullified if no footage of the next game is shown)
4. Will the next main Sonic game appear to bring back boosting?
Ryan: Yes, broadly speaking
5. Will Sonic appear to be the only playable character in the next main game?
Ryan: Does Sonic Unleashed count as “only Sonic”? Because if so, yes.
6. Will the next main Sonic game be a brand new title or a nostalgia/legacy title? (see note)*
Lou: Brand new
Noah: Brand new
Tristan: Brand new
Ryan: I think they’ve said this was going to launch either before of after Sonic Lost World, so it’ll probably be a new title.
7. Will Yuji Naka be present at the party? (this was confirmed as “no” earlier today, shortly after we made these bets. Too bad Noah and Tristan are geniuses and got this bet right.)
Ryan: He was at the 20th, so I’ll expect he’d be at the 25th.
8. Will the next main Sonic game be confirmed for Wii U?
Ryan: Maybe NX, definitely not Wii U
9. At the party, Will Crush 40 bring out the full band (drummer and bassist) or just mostly John and Jun?
Lou: Primarily Just John and Jun
Noah: Full band, baby (wishful thinking?)
Tristan: Just John and Jun
Ryan: Just Johnny and Jun
10. Will details about the Sonic movie be revealed at the party?
Ryan: It might be mentioned in passing, but there will be no information (that’s a year and a half away)
11. Will Aaron bring out something meme-related at the party?
BONUS BET: Predict something that you think is going to happen that we’ve already mentioned. What do you think is going to happen that hasn’t been listed? (Worth two points)
Lou: We’ll hear or see more about Big’s Big Fishing Adventure 3.
Noah: Someone from Sanzaru Games, such as Mat Kraemer, will be present.
Tristan: I predict unveiling of anniversary related merchandise at the show–t-shirts or the like. (Like #6, this has already been confirmed since we made these bets. The Bet Showdown rulebook Page 37 Section F says that Tristan may redo this bet if he wishes.) EDIT: The new Sonic will also be playable at the event.
Ryan: The final version of Big’s Big Fishing Adventure 3 will be released.
We want to know, who do you think is going to win the bets? We have a straw poll below for you to place your bets on our bets. Our answers are close, so it really comes down to a few crucial bets. Choose wisely and tell us who you believe in.
*NOTE: Brand new title means something unconnected to the past, like Sonic Lost World or Sonic Colors. Nostalgia title means a remake of an old game, a sequel, or a revisiting of the past (like Generations).