The Official Sonic Social Media Has Posted A New Project Sonic 2017 Image

The Official Sonic Social Media Has Posted A New Project Sonic 2017 Image

by March 13, 2017 24 comments

The SXSW panel is 3 days away, but even SEGA couldn’t stay silent with Sonic news. Not only did some more Sonic Mania info come out this weekend, but a new image of Project Sonic 2017 was released. We now get a better look at the robots that were terrorizing the city-like area that Modern Sonic was at. This angle was not seen in last year’s teaser trailer. It may not seem like much, but this is the first release of any kind of media related to the game since last July.

That’s not all. The official Sonic Tumblr posted the image as well, with the tags “join the resistance”, a reference to the trailer’s tagline, and “thanks for waiting”, thanking people for waiting on information about the game.

1. Soni
    #1 Soni 13 March, 2017, 17:48

That’s not a screenshot, it’s concept art.

2. Rarefoil
    #2 Rarefoil 13 March, 2017, 17:52

Still no word if it’ll be livesteamed? It would really sick to find all the info out second-hand.

Maybe they just do not want to even try livestreaming it again after the last time they did so, when they throughly tanked Sonic’s reputation beyond any one game could hope?

3. Raw
    #3 Raw 13 March, 2017, 17:54

3 more days to go!

Still cautiously optimistic about this, I really want to believe that Sonic Team can still deliver a thrilling story and gameplay that made me fall for the franchise in the first place, so here is hoping!

Also the “join the resistance” tag keeps me hopeful that it will feature more playable characters other than Sonic & Sonic, if it isn’t I would still give this a chance and be hyped about it, but man other characters would be sooo good!

• sonicgalaxy27
      sonicgalaxy27 13 March, 2017, 20:38

Me too dude. I can’t wait for them to reveal a new character and a new key component.

• SSJSonicXX14
      SSJSonicXX14 13 March, 2017, 22:34

I hope it features new playable characters with amazing new gameplay styles like simon says, hide and go seek, hide the needle in the haystack, bumper cars, shit tier 3D platforming over bottomless pits, tic tac toe, tamagotchi, mouse trap, operation, gator golf, god of war but with more bottomless pits and a framerate that shits the bed during combat, connect four, whack a mole, cursing the terrible physics engine as you try to get giant billiard balls into holes, checkers.

• Raw
        Raw 14 March, 2017, 10:23

Or they could have the same gameplay with different abilities, like Sonic Mania, etc.

4. Tomoki
    #4 Tomoki 13 March, 2017, 18:21

That concept art looks better than the actual teaser.

Don’t screw this one up, SEGA.

5. Oken
    #5 Oken 13 March, 2017, 20:35

Just give me some gameplay pls SEGA, the teasers only hold me out for so long

#6 sonicgalaxy27 13 March, 2017, 20:37

Well, looks like all of us are getting ready for sonic future.

#7 SSJSonicXX14 13 March, 2017, 22:25

If by joining the resistance they mean buying Mania and being 100% sus over another Sonic Team game that’s only available media so far channels the worst moment in the franchise then that’s one hell of a tagline.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 14 March, 2017, 02:17

I know, that trailer totally looks like Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 Author 14 March, 2017, 02:39

To be honest, Generations had a rather serious first trailer too.

Sonic trailers generally don’t have much in the way of comedy, even if the game itself is comedic.

• sonicgalaxy27
        sonicgalaxy27 14 March, 2017, 03:16

Is that so dude?

• SSF1991
          SSF1991 Author 14 March, 2017, 14:03

Yep. For some reason, Sonic trailers never reflect the tone of the game. lol

• sonicgalaxy27
        sonicgalaxy27 14 March, 2017, 16:31

Well, you could be right about that dude. Besides, some trailers never reflect the tone of the game anyway. Plus, I can tell that theres hints on madeon music called finale trailer will be played in the next trailer for Project Sonic 2017.

8. Kenan
    #8 Kenan 14 March, 2017, 09:04

Just coming from the sonic stadium to see how others are responding to the news. I apologise in advance as this might go on a bit as I normally do.

It’s nice to see the differences in opinion; positive, negative, cautious and optimistic each for different reasons. I used to think it strange that fans or people that like the series in some way couldn’t bring themselves to like less popular aspects of the series and still struggle to but I’m technically still a kid so can’t see outside of that perspective as others do.

Like with most things, I take Sonic and other games as they come. I’ll play a game the first time and keep going if I think it’s good. If not I’ll put it down, come back later and approach it a bit differently to see if there’s anything I can enjoy about it, and so far there always has been. I have a thing about completion so even the things I’m not huge on I’ll come back to and try again.

When I go to ‘defend’ a game, I’m not ignoring It’s faults but I do focus more on what it does well. I could very well be wrong but while criticism is important, the purpose of such is to help one or a group of people to improve. If we say nothing except for how badly something has been executed, how do we expect the company in question as consumers to do well.

Chances are I’m over thinking this as I do, and I don’t mean to offend since we’re just posting our thoughts and all, but I really just wanted to contribute something to all this. Thanks for reading if you did but again, I’m just a kid, so you’re free to pass over this if you want.

Stay frosty you guys.

9. Ryan
    #9 Ryan 14 March, 2017, 13:34

I believe that join the resistance could refer to some sort of character customisation option… we shall see in two days!

• Raw
      Raw 14 March, 2017, 15:26

Considering a lot of fans love making fan characters I’m surprised Sega haven’t implemented that option in a game yet.

I feel that feature would be better suited for a competitive Sonic game though (fighting game, racing, mini-games, etc.).

• Ryan
        Ryan 14 March, 2017, 15:39

My thoughts exactly! Could be interesting! I’d go as far to say it’s… likely?

Roll on Thursday!!

• sonicgalaxy27
          sonicgalaxy27 15 March, 2017, 16:54

Fan characters you say? Even people have the right to make there own characters that doesn’t look like the originals who is a sonic fan. It’s called creativity my friend. Go on DeviantART and type in fan characters and you will see what I meant.

• RobotHobo64
        RobotHobo64 14 March, 2017, 18:03

I’d really hope that’s not the case. I’ve waited years to play as established fan favorite characters, just sticking me with a character creator instead of going thru the effort of implementing the rest of the extented cast first would leave a rather sour taste in my mouth.

It works for games like Dragon Ball Xenoverse/DB Online because it already has every other character down pact and playable.(also helps that personally my perfect Dragon Ball games already exist with the Budokai Tenkaichi games and Raging Blast 2)
        Sonic has had like 3 different gameplay changes in the past few years if we count Boom’s attempts to rework the formula, and still in no main Sonic game has there been anyone else playable.
        That and personally, I just don’t like the idea of a Sonic story where your insert character would be more of the focus than the rest of the cast.

• Raw
          Raw 14 March, 2017, 18:36

Agreed, that’s why I think that would fit better in a competitive game, not to mention that a player created character probably won’t have any personality nor major weight in the game’s story.

I’m really hoping we will get to play as other characters as well, curiously the last game with multiple playable characters, Sonic & The Black Knight had my 4 favorite Sonic character (Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles and Blaze).