Sonic Mania Will Release On All Platforms At Same Time, All Versions Will Cost Same Price

by March 14, 2017 30 comments

Although news on Sonic Mania has largely diminished in the time between PAX East and the SXSW Sonic panel, we did get some new details from a PAX East interview that Nintendo World Report conducted with Aaron Webber. There, Aaron informed people that not only will Sonic Mania release on all platforms at the same time, but all versions of the game will cost the same price. So no matter what platform you get the game on, it will release the same day as the others and cost the same. He also informed us that they may talk about the price “in the coming months”.

1. Ryan
    #1 Ryan 14 March, 2017, 17:37

Starting to think we won’t be seeing this game for a while. Definitely not in Spring…

Kinda feels like quotes like this are to soften the blow when the announce an August release date or something!

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 Author 14 March, 2017, 19:09

It’s not meant to be taken literally. They’ve used this phrase before (http://www.tssznews.com/2016/07/26/sonic-tumblr-well-be-talking-more-about-mania-project-2017-in-the-coming-months/) and it was only roughly 2 months before they did talk more. So there’s definitely room to argue that the release date hasn’t changed.

• Axx
        Axx 14 March, 2017, 23:52

That means the game might not come out this month or April, but could come out in May or June.

Spring doesn’t start until next Monday, March 20th, and we have until June 20th before it ends.

Theoretically, IF it came out May 31st, that’s at least 2 and a half months away from now, technically a a LITTLE longer. So, that means more than 2 months, still Spring, and still could have info come out between now and then and be referred to as “in the coming months”. So…. ;3

• SSF1991
          SSF1991 Author 15 March, 2017, 02:47

“Yeah. “In the coming months” means in the future months (plural, more than one, at least 2) that take place after the one we’re in.”
          Yes. And I explained how SEGA, specifically the Sonic PR, have used it before in the past. If this wasn’t already known, I could see where you’re coming from. But SEGA’s past actions never lie.

“I said it on a previous article, and I take it with a grain of salt. But I’d just like to point out that my PS4 Pre-Order of Mania, from way back in September, says it’s expected to arrive by June 2nd, but shit by May 31st.”
          1. If you take something with a grain of salt, don’t use it as proof of your case. It ruins the credibility of your case somewhat.
          2. Why trust a random pre-order date over SEGA itself, and their behavior from the past?

I never even said anyone was wrong. Just that there’s room to argue otherwise. I wouldn’t even be surprised if there was a delay of some kind. But I’m just saying, we’ve seen Sonic’s PR team use it before, and it wasn’t as long a wait as it sounded. So you never know. =P

• Axx
          Axx 15 March, 2017, 16:32

“If this wasn’t already known, I could see where you’re coming from”

Donnie, I’d hope you could see where I was coming from given that I was backing you up in response to the other guy. XD

• SSF1991
          SSF1991 Author 15 March, 2017, 17:58

*shrug*

• Axx
          Axx 15 March, 2017, 16:40

Also, I didnt use it to prove a case. Hence saying I took it with a grain of salt.

That said, I figured this would make it obvious I don’t trust it over actual confirmation.

I didn’t realize offering alternative speculation about possibilities and presenting as just speculation and wonders was so wrong. XP

I was just saying, IF that were the case, it’d fit with the “In the coming months” and “releasing Spring” statements. As in it’s not impossible for them to both be true like people think. XP

2. Rarefoil
    #2 Rarefoil 14 March, 2017, 18:16

I’ll guess the price will be $40. Maybe $50, but I’ll mainly go with $40.

• MetaRyan
      MetaRyan 14 March, 2017, 20:17

$40-50? I mean, I would still buy it at that price, but don’t you think that’s a bit steep? My guess is it will be more like $20-30.

• Shadowbane2009
      Shadowbane2009 15 March, 2017, 02:39

What about those preorder prices? 😛 I think I still have mine locked in on the PS4 though XD $74.19 lmfao

3. Raw
    #3 Raw 14 March, 2017, 18:20

“they may talk about the price in the coming months”

And there is the punchline! I’m guessing we won’t see this game until July.

4. MetaRyan
    #4 MetaRyan 14 March, 2017, 20:15

For context, certain developers have been getting some backlash for either releasing the Switch version later (Yooka-Laylee) or charging more for the Switch version (RIME).
    The RIME example is especially important because Tantalus Media is porting both RIME and Sonic Mania to the Switch, and some have theorized that RIME costs $10 more on Switch because an outside party is making the port. Luckily, Sonic Mania will not suffer the same price hike.

5. ack...
    #5 ack... 14 March, 2017, 23:09

Better not be more that $30.

• Axx
      Axx 14 March, 2017, 23:57

I feel like it’s worth more than $30.

Honestly, most new games are $60.
      This game may be 2D, but it’s still a full game and complete with fun-filled experiences (well hopefully). A lot of work still goes into it. It’ll still serve to entertain you for a while. So if you can’t dish out 10 bucks a week for the next 2 months….. wait a little longer. XD

• Raw
        Raw 15 March, 2017, 12:00

I feel like it’s going to be $30 dollars as well, it may be fun as hell but being 2D, pixel drawn and with more than half the stages based on previous games I don’t think they could launch it at a high price, unless it had a lot of replay value but for that it should have like 25 stages (both new and remixed) to aim at a $60 price.

• Axx
          Axx 15 March, 2017, 16:45

Given the classic approach, it’ll probably have replay value. And it’s gonna be longer than Generations. Doesn’t matter if it’s pixel drawn. Even the remixed stages are made from scratch from the looks of it. If not at least with edited sprites for the “tools” (stage building blocks)

• Raw
          Raw 15 March, 2017, 17:50

@Axx

It does matter though, take Megaman 9 or even Freedom Planet as examples.

• RobotHobo64
          RobotHobo64 15 March, 2017, 19:35

It’d also be nice for at least some Super forms being available to unlock, or even Amy as a bonus character either by DLC or something like that. Even Scott Pilgrim VS The World’s movie game had at least one unlockable character and two DLC characters and bonus modes both unlockable and DLC based. And that game was around, what? Ten bucks I recall? And thus far it’s been the best ten bucks I ever spent.
          I’d also hope that the remixed stages get remixed music as well, otherwise the OST for this is gonna be rather lacking.

• Axx
          Axx 16 March, 2017, 17:30

Take them for example and… was that it?

I don’t see how that makes it matter in terms of treating it as a less valuable game.

Also, Scott Pilgrim was based on that style. So that makes sense. But Sonic games don’t usually require you to unlock anyone. Even if it does, that could be Tails and/or Knuckles. And Super Sonic is kind of a given. Special Stages also support this.

6. TyrantLizardKing
    #6 TyrantLizardKing 15 March, 2017, 09:38

I’m not expecting more than $40 for this game. It doesn’t look large enough to warrant a $60 price tag.

7. *SOS
    #7 *SOS 15 March, 2017, 10:24

I’m not expecting the price to be $60 Maybe $40 or $50but if it does end up with a $60 price tag, I’d pay it to support this team and sega’s brilliant decision to give them the greenlight.

#8 sonicgalaxy27 15 March, 2017, 15:05

In coming months you say? Well, I can wait for the price to be reveal. Besides, we only got until tomorrow to see more news about it. Even project sonic 2017.

9. AManFromDeclan
    #9 AManFromDeclan 16 March, 2017, 00:33

For a 40% new game, that’s sprite-based, how much more time do they need? What else could they possibly add? It’s a 2D Genesis-style Sonic game.

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 Author 16 March, 2017, 00:48

It also still takes months to make. And it’s more so Saturn-style than Genesis-style, because it’s not a 16-bit game.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 16 March, 2017, 02:06

As I said, it really depends on how much there is content wise for modes and extras if it’s around 40 bucks. King of Fighters games are usually sprite-based and each one in the series is packed with numerous modes, and a ton of characters. Even the recent entry in the series KoF 14 still has more than enough to warrant it’s price tag.

Compare that to say, something like Street Fighter V, which ended up being a bare bones shallow attempt at just getting a game out for gaming tournaments as opposed to actually making a good and complete game. The fact there isn’t even a basic Arcade Mode out for the game yet still should show just how bad Capcom screwed things up and how the lack of extra stuff can hurt a game.