Sonic SXSW 2017: Sonic Forces – Multiple Paths In Levels, Reworked Boost, Importance Of Platforming & Speed

by March 17, 2017 31 comments

We’re still sorting our way through all the Sonic SXSW news that broke, and we have even more details on Sonic Forces to share with you. Takashi Iizuka revealed some stuff about the game when the game’s segment took place during the panel. The following was revealed:

• evolution of Sonic Colors and Generations
  • reworked boost feature
  • wisp power-ups return
  • platforming will be very important, as will be speed
  • multiple paths in levels
  • three gameplay styles: classic Sonic, modern Sonic and something to be revealed
  • visuals being pushed with better lighting and rendering

#1 SSJSonicXX14 17 March, 2017, 00:10

We’ve heard those things before but the snippet they showed was the same patented Sonic Team dashpad filled corridor How about instead of pushing visuals you push performance, is this Hedgehog Engine 2 going to still be delivering the same sub-30 FPS?

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 Author 17 March, 2017, 00:14

“We’ve heard those things before but the snippet they showed was the same patented Sonic Team dashpad filled corridor”

That means nothing. There’s three different gameplay styles. We’ve only seen one, and it was just 30 seconds of it. I don’t think it’s fair to act like there isn’t this just because of a small snippet that was only so they can say “here’s gameplay”.

• Ricardo
      Ricardo 17 March, 2017, 00:24

You should check the videos again. Forces was definitely running at 60fps.

• DREZZ3R
      DREZZ3R 17 March, 2017, 09:11

In PC it was 60, but ok

2. JL3
    #2 JL3 17 March, 2017, 00:13

So much for a resistance. It appears to be Sonic & Sonic & likely a 3rd Sonic….woopie. Everyone else is probably either sitting once again on the sidelines, or captured waiting to be saved. Then both for sure.

Looks like modders will once again have to do what the company seems to not want to do.

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 Author 17 March, 2017, 00:19

“likely a 3rd Sonic”

Nope. New character and a new gameplay style.

• sonicgalaxy27
        sonicgalaxy27 17 March, 2017, 00:24

My guess that a new character will be playable in this new sonic title if you ask me. That’s my guess right there.

• JL3
          JL3 17 March, 2017, 00:32

Still doesn’t change we’re stuck with Sonic and his useless friends title for another title. This is why people will never stop saying that XD.

Even then I ain’t sure that so called new character, is the 3rd style. They could very well just be a new character, while the 3rd style goes to someone else. Unless it was noted the new character is the 3rd style. Either way it won’t change the amount of hatred that character is unfortunately gonna get because if they’re playable, they then replaced the cast people have wanted in 3D sonic games for a long time.

But at least Mania looks good.

#3 sonicgalaxy27 17 March, 2017, 00:22

I’m glad SEGA finally get there stuff together for the modern and classic sonic game. Besides, i already know the wisps will return in the game during the gameplay footage. Also, i heard from last year that Madeon will be the main composer for Sonic Forces.

4. RobotHobo64
    #4 RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 00:25

“wisp power-ups return”
    Eeerr…..hmmmm.
    Just, please don’t go overboard with them if that’s the case. The last thing I want is stages like Asteriod Coaster Act 3. And don’t make them part of whatever this new 3rd gameplay style is.

Tbh, the deciding factor would have to be if Pontac is in on the writing.

• sonicgalaxy27
      sonicgalaxy27 17 March, 2017, 00:26

lets see what happens tomorrow.

• JL3
      JL3 17 March, 2017, 00:35

Lame Wisp powers is strike one already. They’re worse than the lackluster Mario Galaxy power ups.

Strike 2 is still not allowing other beloved characters to be playable in Sonic GT

Strike 3 will be if Pontac and Graff are writing.

I really hope things turn around. I am impressed by the graphics, intrigued by the setting, may be digging the music…but that other stuff gets me down.

• RobotHobo64
        RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 02:46

I think the better term would be “Sonic-Only Super” to describe it and stuff like Colors and Lost World. “Sonic GT” was Unleashed.
        (But then again this is getting more into my tastes about how I’m really not a fan of Super and honestly think GT isn’t as bad as everyone says it is)

• JL3
          JL3 17 March, 2017, 03:44

Super at least has been giving some characters a chance to shine whether in filler, or recently as of late in the last 2 arcs…even when questionable. It’s been sloppy for sure, but has shown improvement and promise. I agree GT is overly hated, but I compared it to Sonic not in the “It’s bad cause GT LOL.” But more of “If you ain’t Sonic, you don’t matter.” Which has been the 3D moto since Unleashed when it comes to the core characters.

What I would compare to Super is the needless depowering of characters like Tails and Eggman to make Sonic look so much better by comparison (Ala Super neutering Gohan, and even Freeza character wise) . I say those two as the others are barely around anyways. One is a walking tool kit expository machine and practically unneeded and useless instead of sidekick of yore, and the other is a joke villain who even when doing something evil or big in scale, no longer feels like much of a challenge both narratively, and gameplay wise.

• RobotHobo64
          RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 12:18

I did enjoy the Universe 6 Tournament Arc and I do like some bits of the whole Universe Survival arc. Imo, it’s the two movie retreads and the whole Goku Black that really got me annoyed. (I refuse to accept Potara is time-limit based, and this is coming from someone who thinks Gogeta is cooler then Vegetto)

But I do see where you’re coming from. Tho I guess that makes the Wisps the Pilaf Gang, a constant returning factor that keeps coming back even tho there’s really no need and half the time are never even acknowledged that much.

5. *SOS
    #5 *SOS 17 March, 2017, 00:48

Everything is sounding ok, except the wisps. Just why? The only why i think wisps can work is if they use them to give abilities to characters that don’t have the same abilities or another. For example, Classic sonic doesn’t stomp, so a wisp specifically for classic sonic to stomp in sections designed for modern sonic would make sense. Or the laser wisp could replicate homing attacks.
    To add to that, a wisp that can give elemental shields or the drop dash to modern sonic to get through sections designed for classic sonic. OR the rocket wisp for both classic and modern to get through a section designed for tails if tails is at all playable.
    Despite tails probably not being playable (even as an unlockable), That’s the only direction that wisp can benefit gameplay in sonic games and even with that i still prefer that they don’t even bother because their existence only ever made sense for sonic colors.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 00:56

It’s a one time gimmick that at this point really feels forced. I can’t think of many other gameplay gimmicks that have made this many returning appearences in the Sonic series.

• JL3
        JL3 17 March, 2017, 01:04

It’s also basically a half-hearted attempt to replace the supporting cast, instead of just having levels that can incorporate a few multiple characters. At least Mania is gonna do things right by building levels around the 3.

• A L
        A L 17 March, 2017, 01:21

Super Sonic

• RobotHobo64
          RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 01:33

I don’t see how Super Sonic is a “gimmick” He’s an unlockable final form for beating most of the entire game. It’s like getting Akuma or Devil Kazuya, you played thru the whole game and how here’s your reward. The most overpowered character/form in the entire game.

• AManFromDeclan
          AManFromDeclan 17 March, 2017, 01:34

That’s not a gimmick. It’s either a reward (Genesis) or a plot device (Dreamcast and onward).

A gimmick is something that’s forced and prevents you from continuing the rest of the stage unless used properly.

• RobotHobo64
          RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 01:39

And that’s basicly what the wisps have been in Colors, Generations Planet Wisp stage, and Lost World.

• Gmankinder
      Gmankinder 17 March, 2017, 01:28

Actually, I’ve been looking around tonight on the game, and so far the wisps are only used as a way to fill up Sonic’s boost meter, not for specific abilities.

• RobotHobo64
        RobotHobo64 17 March, 2017, 02:27

I really hope that’s the case for this game. I mean, I couldn’t really see any other types of wisp containers aside from the boost container one. I guess we’ll have to wait for new screenshots or gameplay footage to be sure, kinda like how the wisps could be seen in early shots of Lost World.
        I also hope that the boost meter isn’t super small and runs out in an instant like in Colors. Generations had the best handling of boost energy in Modern games imo.

6. Tezmehbot
    #6 Tezmehbot 17 March, 2017, 01:45

The part about visuals bothers me, cuz no one wants a game with Unleashed​ framerates.

7. Blinx
    #7 Blinx 17 March, 2017, 03:06

I really hope the new character ISN’T another hedgehog. I hope it’s some other animal. And also hoping its female. Cause so far the only female sonic character with good all around gameplay is Blaze and I doubt she and the rest of Sonics friends will be playable.

8. Disappointed
    #8 Disappointed 17 March, 2017, 04:04

As soon as I heard about the wisps was like, I’m out. Then I saw the gameplay being the booster pad corridor and was convinced this isn’t for me. Will buy Mania collectors edition instead and show my support for the series in other ways. If you don’t like what Sonic Team are doing then vote with your wallet.

9. Windii
    #9 Windii 17 March, 2017, 05:22

The Wisps and classic Sonic killed my hype a bit, but I can only hope the Wisps are used sparingly and not as half-hearted powerups that don’t even work like powerups. And who knows, maybe Classic Sonic’s gameplay will actually be pretty good, as tired as I am of Classic Sonic. It’s been 6 years, they’ve had time to learn and improve him if we’re going to keep getting him.

My only other concern so far is who’s writing the story. I’m sure the gameplay and visuals will be good and awesome and all that, but I’m looking forward to the story/narrative side of things more than anything. No more Pontaff. Please.

10. TyrantLizardKing
    #10 TyrantLizardKing 17 March, 2017, 10:22

I’m hoping -praying even- that 3 playstyles does not mean 3 Sonics or 2 Sonics and a new character. If they’re smart they’ll let us unlock other characters that fit into one of those three styles.

As SomecallmeJohnny has said repeatedly, all we need is characters that play like a different version of Sonic. Mania is reinforcing that belief with the return of Tails and Knuckles, and I just don’t see why that can’t be applied to Forces (even if they’re just skins).