Famitsu Has Released New Information On Sonic Mania & Forces, Iizuka Interviewby SSF1991 April 12, 2017 23 comments
A new interview with Takashi Iizuka was included in the latest issue of Famitsu, along with info on Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. What we’ve learned is below, most of which translated by various people, including SourceGaming and Woun. Nothing about Sonic Mania was of much note:
- The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.
- There is a circular ring of white stars above a Mirage Saloon screenshot in Sonic Mania, suggesting the return of Sonic 3’s bonus stages.
- “The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”
- “Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.
- Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year. We are told that E3 will be where the third character will be revealed.
- Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one. The reason why Eggman takes over so much of the world is because of “a new power” that his obtains, resulting in his army controlling that much of the world. However, this power is also what makes Classic Sonic appear.
- Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings and Black Knight. He also directed Sonic Lost World and the Wii version of Sonic Colors.
- Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.
- “Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”
- “This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”
- 2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.
- The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.
- Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”.
- The general rule for the art of Sonic Mania was to be above the level of Genesis, but under the level of Saturn.
- The gameplay for Mania is similar to Sonic 3’s. The elemental shields were mentioned, but just that they are returning (that, we already knew).