Sonic Forces will have a character editor

Sonic Forces will have a character editor

by May 16, 2017 17 comments

When they said “join the resistance” they said it for real. SEGA has revealed earlier today that the highly rumoured third character is indeed anything you can think of, and can be made on their new character editor. That is, you can make our own character to join classic and Modern Sonic in their adventure, with it’s own gameplay style somewhat similar to Modern Sonic, but with a bit more platforming bits.

As revealed by Destructoid, the new character can use a grappling hook to hang on far away platforms, and make use ofΒ  “Wispons”, unique gadgets based on wisp powers that help them on their adventure.

The character editor has 7 basic species where we can customize our character on, each of hem with different unique abilities:

• Wolf — Automatically draws in rings when near them

• Rabbit — Has longer invincible time after receiving damage

• Cat — Keeps one ring after being hit

• Dog — Restarts with five rings after the player dies

• Bear — Blows away enemies with a homing attack

• Bird — Flies high with double jump abilities

• Hedgehog — Collects rings when getting damaged

Besides that, you can also customize skin color, upper headgear, middle headgear, lower headgear, gloves, footwear, body and bodysuit.

Besides this info, Sonic the hedgehog’s official YouTube channel has uploaded a new trailer for Sonic Forces, and a gampelay video of the new character’s gameplay. A few screenshots of several different characters made with the editor are also up. Last, but not least, at the gameplay video we can hear a new level theme, along with the name of the apocalyptic city level we have seen in several videos and images: Park Avenue.

1. Raw
    #1 Raw 16 May, 2017, 14:17

Totally called it, the “Join the resistance” tagline and the generic looking silhouette from the teaser were the major give-aways, I actually think is kind of cool, still wished more official characters were playable though.

The gameplay doesn’t look good though, feels like a rehash of the Boost gameplay 2D sections and all, would have been cool if it were more like the Adventure formula with slower platforming and more 3D exploration, I really hope they show us more exciting gameplay from the 3 styles at E3.

2. Shadowbane2009
    #2 Shadowbane2009 16 May, 2017, 14:26

Mark my words ladies and gentlemen as intriguing as this idea is…we are all now literally “Original the KARAKTER”! πŸ˜› and KEN PENDERS IS GOING TO DIE OF A STROKE cause well no character is out of bounds now πŸ˜† even the ones that are no longer in existence πŸ˜† oh this is a glorious day. NOTHING IS OUT OF BOUNDS by the looks of things. If I’m wrong correct me but this is both epic and might not end well πŸ˜›

• Raw
      Raw 16 May, 2017, 14:34

Echidnas are still out of bounds, therefore Fuck Penders!

• Shadowbane2009
        Shadowbane2009 16 May, 2017, 15:07

watch the modding community πŸ˜† They’ll have the last laugh I almost guarantee it πŸ˜†

• Raw
          Raw 16 May, 2017, 15:48

Hahaha true that!

#3 sonicgalaxy27 16 May, 2017, 14:58

DeviantART users is gonna go wild for this. They still making there own fan characters like I do. That’s what keeps the fan base going.

4. Raw
    #4 Raw 16 May, 2017, 15:00

Bad news everyone, it seems that Graff wrote this game story, probably Pontac too.

• SSF1991
      SSF1991 16 May, 2017, 15:12

“bad news everyone”

There are people that like this kind of writing, you know…

• Raw
        Raw 16 May, 2017, 15:41

Well yeah, a very few people at least, what do you think about their writing?

• SSF1991
          SSF1991 16 May, 2017, 15:48

“A very few people” Um, no. There’s quite a lot of people interested.

“what do you think about their writing?” IMO it’s flawed, especially with Tails’ writing, but it could be a LOT LOT worse. Plus, it being a comedy style of writing feels more “Sonic-like” to me. But it’s not really why I play Sonic games anyway, so meh.

• Raw
          Raw 16 May, 2017, 16:03

That’s why I said “at least”, and personally I care about story in Sonic games as much as the gameplay, I’m fine with comedy in them but I don’t like them being all about comedy, action/thriller is a genre that I think fits Sonic the best with comedy thrown around due to Sonic’s personality, worse yet I think these guys write bad comedy, I had more laughs in games like Sonic Battle or even in Sonic X than in Colors, Generations or Lost World, and talking about the later they are no good writing drama either.

5. Tezmehbot
    #5 Tezmehbot 16 May, 2017, 16:30

Sega has officially evolved into a meme company. It makes perfect sense now that Sonic is now being made in America.

6. Dom Greer
    #6 Dom Greer 16 May, 2017, 17:12

What about custom voices? Some games like Saints Row have different voices to choose from for your custom character?

7. serpx
    #7 serpx 16 May, 2017, 17:50

No one mentions singing in background? We’re
    going back to SONIC R, WHOO WHOO. Custom characters, this is a first for Sonic. Will definitely be great for the Sonic community. Also great for replay value. Promising.

• Raw
      Raw 16 May, 2017, 20:11

My thoughts exactly, that song sounds nice so far, I think I’m going to like this soundtrack like no other Sonic ost in years.

8. TLSonic
    #8 TLSonic 17 May, 2017, 09:45

You know whether you think the custom creation feature is good or bad, I’ve notice that more people are talking about and looking forward to it. So overall I consider the character creation feature as a good thing.