Sonic Mania Rated “E” By The ESRB

Sonic Mania Rated “E” By The ESRB

by May 18, 2017 16 comments

Sonic Mania’s release is closer than you think. So much so that the ESRB has given the game an “E for Everyone” rating with a notice on “Mild cartoon violence”. Although there really wasn’t much in the way of new details, which can sometimes happen in ESRB rating pages (i.e. we got our first look at Sonic Lost World’s dialogue through a few examples that the ESRB provided), the ratings summary was amusingly descriptive in a way that could be applied to many other Sonic games and not just Mania:

This is an action-platformer in which players assume the role of Sonic as he zooms around colorful “zones” and attempts to defeat Dr. Eggman. As players run and jump through whimsical environments, they can jump on enemies’ heads, causing them to transform into small woodland creatures. Boss battles sometimes depict characters shooting “cartoony” bombs and/or oversized missles; Sonic reacts to damage by losing coin-like rings and falling off the screen when defeated.

1. Hero
    #1 Hero 18 May, 2017, 18:44

Hopefully this means that that September release rumor is bogus, I’d much rather have it released earlier into Summer than that, August at the very latest. Because September is barely even Summer anymore by that point, it’s basically just hot Fall.

Of course I’d rather have the game be delayed and great as opposed to early and sloppy, I just hope that the work and time available all works out better. If they really do have to wait till September to make it great tho, then so be it. 😛

2. Nuzamaki90
    #2 Nuzamaki90 18 May, 2017, 19:17

This isn’t in relation to Sonic Mania but instead Sonic Forces and I felt the need to point it out.

After rewatching the gameplay for both Modern Sonic and the Hero’s, I realized the level layout is the exact same but with different enemy placement. The stages so far only differ from camera perspective and the integration of the hook points for the Hero OC.

Of course this is just the first stage and the others might look different but just something I wanted to point out. I hope the Hero levels aren’t just reskinned Modern Sonic levels, or else that’d be a huge waste of potential.

3. Keeper of Weird
    #3 Keeper of Weird 18 May, 2017, 19:35

June 23. Calling it

4. SHS
    #4 SHS 19 May, 2017, 00:55

“coin-like rings” XP

• Hifihedgehog
      Hifihedgehog 19 May, 2017, 01:24

Just out of fairness, the ESRB should now feel compelled to use the phrase “ring-like coins” for the content descriptor in the next Mario game.

#5 sonicgalaxy27 19 May, 2017, 05:03

Well I’m cool with this. Besides, I don’t want sonic games to be M Rated game.

6. Dom Greer
    #6 Dom Greer 19 May, 2017, 06:50

I’m still waiting for Classic Amy to be confirmed as having an appearance in the game, not a playable character, but like she was in Sonic CD where she would run up and hug Sonic or something different.

I just want her to be recognized in the Classic cast, but I know that probably won’t happen.

• Ninetails2000
      Ninetails2000 19 May, 2017, 16:29

It’d be nice to see a Classic twist on Amy’s Advanced gameplay. The Classic era was when her hammer debuted after all.

• Kabam!
        Kabam! 20 May, 2017, 22:25

Agreed. Just because Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are three playable characters like the trailer says, doesn’t mean they are the only playable characters.