Gut Reaction: I’m Worried About Sonic Forces

Gut Reaction: I’m Worried About Sonic Forces

by August 2, 2017 34 comments

Be careful what you wish for

Though we still don’t have an official release date as of yet, Sonic Team’s next big 3D game, Sonic Forces, could be as few as two or three months away. That’s soon. Not quite as soon as the retro-2D Sonic Mania, granted, but soon enough that you should know where you stand on the game. My stance? I’m worried about Sonic Forces. Those of you who know me know that I’m usually pretty cautious of new Sonic games anyways, for the fairly obvious reasons, but this is different. On paper, Sonic Forces sounds like the kind of game that shouldn’t necessarily warrant the same knee-jerk dismissal that so much of Sonic’s oeuvre can demand. But even from the very first gameplay teaser, something about the game has felt a little “off.” As that feeling continues to intensify, I have been trying to nail down what exactly is wrong.

The Return of Boost Gameplay

This seems like it’s potentially the most exciting, right? I love Sonic’s boost gameplay, and I was a vocal opponent of Sonic Team moving away from it. But that’s the thing: Sonic Team committed to ditching boost. Sega’s Takashi Iizuka went on record to say that Sonic Generations was “the end of that period”, and that the Sonic games to follow it would be the start of a new era. There were to be no more boost games. It was time to move on. The “new era” opened with Sonic Lost World and ended with Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, games that put Sonic right back into the gutter he was just starting to scrape his way out of. Returning to the Generations-style boost gameplay NOW feels like Sonic Team backpedaling to save face. In doing so, they’ve also cast a long shadow on the new game: what we’ve seen of Sonic’s “Park Avenue” level in Forces looks like it could have been ripped straight out of Sonic Generations. Where’s the evolution? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, I guess, but you could probably recreate Park Avenue in Generations (now a six year old game!) and I doubt most would know the difference. Is that the best they can muster after all this time?

The Return of Classic Sonic

In spite of claims that Sonic Forces is not “Sonic Generations 2,” the existence of Classic Sonic really says otherwise. Sonic Team claims Forces has been in development for nearly four years, with murmurs that it was even originally intended to release last year, for Sonic’s 25th Anniversary (I’m skeptical). If Forces was intended to be a celebratory anniversary game like Generations, Classic Sonic’s appearance would definitely be a little less weird, but it’s 2017 and that window has closed. There’s simply no reason for Classic Sonic to team up with Modern Sonic again, especially not with the release of Sonic Mania hitting so soon. We’ve already seen footage that Sonic Team still can’t (or won’t) properly implement Classic Sonic’s momentum-based Sega Genesis physics in Forces. They’re content to cheat by using more boost pads and scripting to fake the effect, just like in Sonic 4: Episode 1. Except Sonic Mania does all this stuff right, just without having to resort to cheating. If Sonic Team themselves refuse to do Classic Sonic justice, it seems a little insulting to keep bringing him back like this.

The Return of Shun Nakamura

Shun Nakamura is a veteran from Sonic Team’s Gamecube era, having worked on Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg. You may also know him as the director behind the legendary embarrassment of Sonic 2006. After Sonic 2006, Nakamura-san (understandably) laid low for a few years, only to resurface as a producer on Rhythm Thief for the 3DS, a game that, as I understand it, was somewhat well-received. Now, you can’t lay all of the blame for Sonic 2006 squarely on Shun Nakamura’s shoulders, but neither should the success of Rhythm Thief be exclusively attributed to him, either. Game development is a team effort, the result of many voices speaking in unison, but there’s also no denying that the moment Shun Nakamura comes back, suddenly we’re being shown burning cities, told that Sonic has lost to Dr. Eggman, and we get introduced to a new, super teen-edgy villain. Some of this feels depressingly familiar, and makes me wonder why they’d let this guy anywhere near Sonic ever again. Did nobody better show up to work that day?

The Return of Warren Graff (and possibly Ken Pontac)

Together, this duo have helped pen the scripts to Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World, and even a couple of the Sonic Boom games. They’re both old Saturday Morning Cartoon folk, something that definitely comes through in what they’ve contributed to Sonic. Here’s the deal: at least personally speaking, I don’t know if they’re very good at telling stories. The writing in Sonic Colors was kinda cute in a way that made me nostalgic for the mid-90’s Sonic cartoons, but everything else since then has had a lot of rough edges. Sonic Generations barely even had a story and what WAS there was pretty weak. Their attempts to dig in deeper for the narrative of Sonic Lost World left us with more plot holes than answers, with clichéd villains that had no motives, and misplaced melodrama. As far as setting up simple one-scene gags go they’re decent, but anything more complex than that seems to fall apart. After Lost World, I was hoping we’d seen the last of them. So far only Warren Graff has spoken up about writing for Sonic Forces, so it’s possible things will be different — but one name usually means the other isn’t far behind.

The Return of Literally Everything Else

Hey, remember the old Genesis games, when Sonic used to be good? I don’t see how you could forget, given Sonic Forces features what will be at least the ninth time Green Hill Zone (or something like it) will be returning as a feature presentation. Or what about digging up Silver the Hedgehog again, or Zavok from the Deadly Six? You know, those timeless characters from beloved games like Sonic 2006 and Lost World? Constantly reheating Sonic’s leftovers has been an established trend for more than a decade now, but it became especially egregious after Sonic 4: Episode 1. Now it feels like we can hardly go even one game without somebody at Sega breathlessly wagging Sonic 1’s Motobug at the screen shouting “REMEMBER THIS??” It all seems particularly ironic in the face of lyrics for what used to be Sonic’s theme song: “Well I don’t look back, I don’t need to; Time won’t wait and I got so much to do.” Good thing they brought back Egg Dragoon from Sonic Unleashed again, right?

Of course, something to keep in mind is just how little we’ve actually seen of Sonic Forces. In spite of being revealed almost a full year ago, we’ve still only seen a grand total of two levels. Sonic Team is keeping the game very close to their chest, making it hard to accurately get a picture of what the completed product will look like. While some may say that could be grounds to avoid passing judgment, it’s also important to keep in mind that the entire reason companies like Sega put out trailers and demonstrate the game at trade shows is to entice you to into pre-ordering. That, in itself, is a form of judgement, and one Sega is deliberately encouraging.

Preview material is simply made to be judged, or it wouldn’t exist at all. What Sega has chosen to preview of Sonic Forces unfortunately hasn’t been interesting. Sonic Lost World was like throwing the baby out with the bathwater; it was a collection of bizarre, sloppy mistakes. Though Sonic Forces side steps those mistakes, what it replaces them with is a game that looks safe and wholly bland, with nary a risk to be seen. In terms of gameplay, it seems to be exactly what I wanted to a fault, the monkey’s paw twisting in my hands.

Unless Sonic Team happens to be hiding something incredible, Sonic Forces, at this point in time, looks tired. Maybe not entirely awful, but at the very least cynical. To circle back around to so much of this stuff, be it characters, levels, or even staff members themselves, regardless of whether or not they’re good enough to warrant a return appearance, just makes it look more like Sonic the Hedgehog itself is circling the drain.

With only two or three months to go, we’ll find out soon enough.

1. TyrantLizardKing
    #1 TyrantLizardKing 2 August, 2017, 09:34

This article PERFECTLY sums up why I’ve been so skeptical of this game. Izuka can pull whatever excuse out of his ass he wants: this is Generations 2.0. When I look at Generations, I see Classic Sonic & Modern Sonic. When I look at Forces, I also see Classic Sonic & Modern Sonic, just now with everyone’s OC thrown in.

Add in the blatant ignorance towards what people have been asking for and you can see why I’ve been so on the fence about this game.

• sonicgalaxy27
      sonicgalaxy27 2 August, 2017, 20:59

You never seen the difference between generations and forces. They are almost identical depending on the engine they used.

2. Operationgamer17
    #2 Operationgamer17 2 August, 2017, 10:59

Umm. I think the reason they haven’t shown much of Forces yet is because they don’t want to upstage Mania. Aaron did confirm there will be lots more Forces news after Mania releases. https://www.twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/889597563073998848

• SSJSonicXX14
      SSJSonicXX14 2 August, 2017, 22:55

Upstaging it is not possible in fact Forces is a great marketing tool for Mania, they had no problem showing off plenty of 4 and Colors during the same time period. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re keeping it under wraps to feed into the narrative that’s it’s Generations 2 to gen up preorders, it’s easy to assume if they showed a lot of more of it would be clear that it’s not Generations 2 and instead a Frankenstein of random pieces thrown together by returning hack Nakamura. Aaron has to be relieved because this gives him more breathing room before having to spin this somehow, they can’t act self aware about the previous sorry state of this franchise will putting out something that both echoes it’s problems and is absolutely not being self aware about it.

• Tomoki
        Tomoki 3 August, 2017, 06:12

I wouldn’t place the blame on Nakamura for the game being a frankenstein’s monster of random ideas thrown together; as far as game design goes, I think Morio Kishimoto shoulders a lot of the blame as well. He’s the lead game designer of Black Knight, Colors, and Lost World, and he’s the director of Sonic Forces.

3. Tomoki
    #3 Tomoki 2 August, 2017, 13:58

I haven’t commented on this site in a while, but I have to say I agree with this article for the most part, though I didn’t really want the boost gameplay back. I was hoping they’d follow through with their word and make a new gameplay style that wasn’t bad and try more interesting things, but instead we got Lost World and Boom. Forces just comes off as Sonic Team throwing a bunch of half-hearted ideas of what they THINK the fans want on to the table, and just made a game out of it. It’s a very confused game that lacks focus, and resorts to shallow fanservice. (HEY GUYS REMEMBER CLASSIC SONIC AND GREEN HILL ZONE FROM THE GENESIS DAYS? REMEMBER CHAOS AND SHADOW FROM THE ADVENTURE DAYS? REMEMBER THE EGG DRAGOON FROM UNLEASHED? REMEMBER ZAVOK FROM LOST WORLD-wait, you didn’t like Lost World? WELL TOO BAD YOU’RE GETTING MORE LOST WORLD. etc.) And after all these years, they finally made an OC creator in an official Sonic game, and it’s just a half-assed, nerfed Modern Sonic with a gun and automated/scripted grappling hook replacing the boost. Wow, so revolutionary guys. I don’t know about you guys, but I feel like Sonic Team just isn’t putting their heart into this one. It just feels like they’re just throwing in fanservice for the sake of selling units, rather than a genuine attempt at trying to appeal to them; Generations felt more like a love letter to the fans, while this… just feels somewhat cyncial, in a way.

At this point, I think they should just take another crack at SA1-style Sonic gameplay without the ‘genre roulette’ stuff, and apply that to other characters like Tails and Knuckles. Make levels that accommodate for each characters’ unique abilities. Have all characters run fast and use the spin dash like in the Genesis days, but give them each a unique skill(s). Sonic’s could be the Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash, Tails’ is flying and maybe give him gadgets that open up secret paths, Knuckles can climb, glide, punch, and dig tunnels, etc.

As for story, I DO want more serious stories in Sonic, but not the way Forces is doing it. I want more stuff like Adventure 1 and 2, not… whatever this is supposed to be. I want balance, I want a story that seamlessly goes with the gameplay and compliments it like Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Adventure games- especially Adventure 1. I’m also aware that there are those who don’t care about story in Sonic, and just want to play the game, there’s a simple solution to that too. Give 3D Sonic games 2 different single player modes. A ‘Classic’ mode that just has the player going through all the stages back to back without any cutscenes (like the EGG Shuttle Mode in Colors- just have it unlocked from the start), and a ‘Story’ or ‘Adventure’ mode that has the fluff other fans like such as hub worlds, minigames, side missions, cutscenes, etc. Maybe make ‘Classic’ mode a little harder and have a set amount of lives and offer continues like in the Genesis games, and have ‘Story’ Mode be a little easier by not having lives at all, which gives the player more room to experiment and explore without having to worry about ranks and scores. Then just throw in a ‘Time Attack’ mode for Speedrunners, and you’re set.

I’ve really put more thought into this than I think this series deserves, but eh, I can’t help but want a series I grew up with find its footing and get back on track again after years of mistakes, but how they fix this mess is ultimately up to SEGA and Sonic Team.

That’s really all I have to say on the subject for now.

• sonicgalaxy27
      sonicgalaxy27 2 August, 2017, 21:13

You know, I care much about the boost formula, but I didn’t realize that you don’t want it back much often. If sonic has no boost formula, that doesn’t mean he is powerless. Hey, sonic turn out great in lost world without his boost formula. Many people suspect that Sonic will be great again in a few years. So, whatever happens after sonic forces, I’m sure the next sonic title will be confirmed after sonic forces gets release.

4. Ryborg
    #4 Ryborg 2 August, 2017, 13:59

I’ll just leave this here.

This is what a competent dev makes when you mix boosting with parkour.

5. Jake Gantt
    #5 Jake Gantt 2 August, 2017, 15:58

The next game after this I think will be like Sonic Adventure and its sequel.

• serpx
      serpx 2 August, 2017, 16:05

This is said after every next-gen Sonic game lol.

Also, I’m worried about Forces myself. I didn’t hear the best reviews coming from those who played it. Thank god for Mania.

#6 sonicgalaxy27 2 August, 2017, 16:26

Well, Sonic games can get a little rough with the boost formula. Besides, I love that formula. Sometimes sonic games don’t have boost formula but they did try there best to make sonic lost world be good like Sonic colors. Besides, Sonic colors is a good sonic game and I don’t see any problems with the aspects of the game. It’s very obvious you know. Some things can return and some doesn’t. It makes sense. Sonic Team was trying to develop a good powerful sonic game each time they do.

7. HyperSonicX
    #7 HyperSonicX 2 August, 2017, 16:40

I have a feeling that what they’ve shown so far is most of the nostalgia we’re going to get. Because even Lost World’s aesthetics, besides the obvious Windy Hill, were original. Bland, but original.

But yeah, the story is what I’m most concerned about. I especially want them to start explaining shit this time. The gameplay’s basically gonna be fun no matter what, just like Colors and Generations.

• Hyper_Sonic
      Hyper_Sonic 8 August, 2017, 05:56

“The gameplay’s basically gonna be fun no matter what, just like Colors and Generations.”
      Aren’t you being a tad presumptuous? IMO this looks a step below Generations in terms of ‘fun’. The level design we’ve seen so far looks tired. Generations and Colors actually had nice level design.

• HyperSonicX
        HyperSonicX 8 August, 2017, 17:17

We’ve also only seen the first level. Tropical Resort 1 and Modern Green Hill weren’t that interesting either.

8. Lightning Armadillo
    #8 Lightning Armadillo 2 August, 2017, 16:47

I really don’t care what happens to sonic anymore, and that’s only after 8 years, my golden age of sonic ended in 2009, I doubt that is coming back.

• SSJSonicXX14
      SSJSonicXX14 2 August, 2017, 22:37

Yeah Black Knight what a highlight of the series surely will be remembered for years what a game to go out on. If you’re idea of your golden age ended 8 years ago and you don’t care about the series now so why are you still here? You don’t have to answer because it’s obvious, anyone who thinks that era was a golden age has a martyr complex that would make a religious zealot blush, if there weren’t the case they wouldn’t have the tendency to invent insane conspiracy theories like claiming that Sonic 06 was only hated by fanboys and a cabal of game reviewiers and let’s players looking to bury the series rather than admit the reality that this “golden age” turned a pop culture icon into a pop culture punchline.

9. Dom Greer
    #9 Dom Greer 2 August, 2017, 17:53

I’m going to remain patient and optimistic… Mania comes first and I will devote my hype and energy towards it!

Then after the fires die down and I’m craving more Sonic action, I’ll turn to Forces for a good time.

Also the little dog is Sonic Mania… the other two are you and Sonic Forces…

10. Hank East
    #10 Hank East 2 August, 2017, 20:10

I get the feeling that the game started out as Generations 2, but morphed into Forces over time. It does have many aspects that Generations had; Classic Sonic, old levels, old bosses and villains, etc.

Like maybe the premise was about seeing what classic stages would’ve looked like had Sonic failed in each game, rather than just straight up recreating them again in order to spice things up, which is where Sandy Green Hill came from (Maybe Park Avenue/City Heights was derived from a ruined version of City Escape too). It could also be where this multiple dimensions thing came along instead of time travel again; Eggman uses Infinite to merge his dimension with multiple parallel ones where he won or something.

I’m also thinking that the Custom Hero was a later addition to the game, based on the similarities to Modern Sonic’s playstyle (and also because of how similar Park Avenue’s layout is to City Heights, half of it is literally just recycled but hopefully that’s an exception to the rule). I also generally don’t see how this game has taken 4 years to develop, even with developing the new engine, unless Sonic Team is packing it with a lot of stages to fill up the Blu-Rays and they’re not telling us.

I still think Forces will be a decent 6 or 7/10 game, maybe 8 if we’re lucky, but there are some flaws from what we’ve been shown so far.

• Tezmehbot
      Tezmehbot 6 August, 2017, 10:01

New engine? When will people realize that the Hedgehog Engine is a LIGHTING ENGINE? Ten bucks says that Forces still uses the Havoc Engine for its physics.

11. KthTheArtist
    #11 KthTheArtist 2 August, 2017, 20:14

I will be the judge of the game once it comes out~

the only thing that worries me is the lack of news but Aaron said there’s gonna be a ton of it after Mania sooo….

I’m just gonna wait and hope for the best~

12. ProjectZuel
    #12 ProjectZuel 2 August, 2017, 20:44

Forces seems to be a culmination of a variety of themes, story elements and gameplay styles from Sonic over the last 15 years and I’m not entirely sure it will gel together.

It has the edge and darker themes (and frankly convoluted story) of SA2 to Sonic 06′ era. It has the slapstick of Colours to Lost World era. In terms of gameplay it’s very Generations with the new gimic being an OC character. I do wonder though, if the the OC maker is the new gimmik why do we have Classic Sonic showing up to hog the spotlight?

I’m sure Forces will be fun or at least enjoyable in many places but nothing I’ve seen makes me want to pre-order it. I’ll wait until the reviews come in and even then I may wait until it’s on discount.

• SSJSonicXX14
      SSJSonicXX14 2 August, 2017, 22:20

Because it was very probably a late in development change from Boom Sonic who would have been removed from the game for obvious reasons, OC having a grappling hook seems like too much of a coincidence.

13. Hero
    #13 Hero 2 August, 2017, 23:29

Personally I think the banner you made for this article is a bit too much, but I guess I can see your actual point here. Still, after almost 5 years of nothing but Sega taking risks and implementing them very poorly, I feel as though this “safe blandness” might almost be a necessary evil at this point. At least until they feel confident and comfortable enough to actually try and push the envelope some more again. But then again, that all depends on how CORRECTLY they do any of that. There are a few select ways you can play something safe while still doing it well (maybe even exceptionally well), but of course we’re all familiar with how it can be done poorly as well.

If it really is inevitable that Forces feels like a “safe” Sonic game, that’s something I can live with, as long as that is the worst it could possibly be (better a Sonic Generations 2 than another 2006 or Rise of Lyric, right?). But if what Sega and Sonic Team (and most importantly Iizuka) takes away from all this is that the only way to keep Sonic successful is to keep him familiar enough with what made him successful before(the same issue that’s happened before in the past and has even happened with Mario a few times as well), then that “playing it safe just this once” thing might all be for nothing. It’s not so much the short term fate of this game that I’m concerned with, but more of the long term effect it could potentially have on the franchise given how both branches of the corporate end of the brand tend to approach this series.

Playing it safe for one game is fine as long as you plan on committing to taking needed risks again after it. And they don’t have to be ridiculous risks either. They don’t have to be a complete abandon of what was giving you momentum (both figuratively and literally) like Lost World was and they don’t have to be something that feels like a completely clean slate in order to hypothetically “get things right this time” like Rise of Lyric was supposed to be. Do what you’ve done before with games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Adventure, Adventure 2, Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, hell, even Mania now: Take what has proven to be extremely well-received about Sonic’s gameplay and fine-tune it to the point where it feels like you’re adding more to the experience instead of taking away. You guys seem to be getting at least half way there with what you’ve shown with Forces so far, bringing back what made Generations fun to begin with. However it still feels like parts are lacking from it, Modern’s gameplay actually feels a little watered down compared to how it worked in Generations (almost as if it was Lost World modded to work more like Generations…), and Classic of course still needs a lot more work in order to at least get very close to emulating that Genesis experience (again, Generations seemed to do a pretty decent job of that, so here it feels like some of that was taken away). Both of these things feel like they’re lacking because for some reason or another you took away parts that didn’t need to be removed.

This is what I think Sega and Sonic Team’s major flaw is currently (yeah, I know I’m kind of jumping around with who my audience is right now. Rant mode is kind of hard to keep track of), they understand that they have to fine tune and gut some parts of their formulas, but they still have a major misunderstanding of what parts they’re supposed to remove and what parts they’re supposed to keep and how they can actually strengthen them. It often comes from this “middle ground” place where they want to seem like they’re addressing the many varying issues that various different fans have been expressing while at the same time also pursuing whatever agenda they already committed to doing. They somehow want to have their cake and eat it too but they keep forgetting to bring plates, utensils, napkins, a knife, and a whole container for the cake itself that it’s pretty much just misguided effort.

So of course I’ve got concerns for this game, just as I still have hopes and things I’m legitimately excited for as well (I’m really looking forward to making my own custom character, and YES I have an OC to work off of too, I DESERVE THIS!!), but what I understand is that if the worse I could ever hope for is that it’s just “safe”, that tells me that it could potentially only be uphill from here, especially with Mania as a working example of what happens when you take the RIGHT kind of risks. With that, the best that I CAN hope for is that the combination of these two releases will help Sega and Sonic Team (and again, freaking Iizuka) actually learn what they need to learn about taking the right kinds of risks that actually pay off in the end and bringing in the tried and true successes of the past and tweaking them in a way that actually adds to an experience rather than takes away from or substitutes it. It’s not an easy thing to figure out, but it still requires actual effort and desire to understand, and I’m really hoping that they are sincere in saying that they want to do that from this point on.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 3 August, 2017, 02:32

For Modern Sonic, the one thing I’m worried the most of is his stages feeling like Colors. Cramped, blocky, tedious, and just not fun to play thru with the only enjoyable sections being another Quick Step Auto Run segment. And that’s without me going into how nerfed the boost feels in Colors when compared to both Generations and Unleashed.

Tbh tho, in comparison to a character from 06, Infinite is about a million times better than Mephiles already since we actually see him fighting Sonic head-on instead of just hiding around in the background and randomly attacking him while his guard was down without any real fight. Granted, that remains to be seen in the rest of the game, but at least it’s got a better set-up then Meph had.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 3 August, 2017, 02:35

And hey, let’s all just be greatful Forces isn’t going thru the bullshit Marvel VS Capcom Infinite is going thru. The last thing we’d need is Sonic Team just calling any character that isn’t Sonic “Fucntions” and saying that no-one will remember them.

14. Raw
    #14 Raw 3 August, 2017, 08:29

Valid reasons to be concerned, I agree on them to different degrees, especially about Classic Sonic and the nostalgia throwbacks.

Still this is looking better than Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World and miles better than the whole Sonic Boom games fiasco so at the very least this is a step in the right direction.

15. That Guy
    #15 That Guy 3 August, 2017, 21:15

As usual, Sonic Team seems to be doing the piecemeal approach with their ‘improvements” to their games. That, and Sonic Forces seems like a game of contradictions. They’ve been working on it longer than other Sonic games, but there’s a lot of copy and pasting from other games. They bring back all these bad guys to raise the stakes, but possibly only make them look weaker. They want to make Sonic’s friends more useful…by literally phoning them in. That’s not even going into the sticking point that is Classic Sonic. I don’t think even a great Sonic Forces could justify him.

This game will possibly be more of a watershed moment for the series than Lost World was. It will be the game that convinces a great many people that Sonic Team has no true vision for Modern Sonic, instead relying on past experiences long past the point where it becomes, well, FORCED. If the game I’m seeing from the previews is indeed the final product, then I’m going to officially start calling for some creative heads to step down. You don’t work so long and have this little to show for it.

16. Axx
    #16 Axx 3 August, 2017, 21:26

I’m worried but excited for the game. It’s a mess but it’s an interesting mess.

First of all, if leaving the Boost Games was a mistake, then of course they will go back to where they were last successful and then build up from there. Other than plot, it’s almost like Lost World never happened. I’m cool with that. I also don’t really think this would worry me so much as it would disappoint me. I mean, I’m not disappointed, just saying, it doesn’t WORRY me.

They also DON’T “keep” bringing Classic Sonic back. Aside from Sonic Runners, a mobile game, and Mania, which is completely a classic game (Which isn’t really bringing back CLASSIC SONIC as an identity but a CLASSIC GAME as one, which is more of a functional blast to the past), this is only the second time Classic Sonic has been brought back into modern storyline. There’s really no reason to ever do it except that they want to. They MAKE reasons. Oh, the fans will love seeing Classic Sonic again so let’s do it for the 20th and celebrate the generations of Sonic. That said, this isn’t really a “Generations 2” just because Classic Sonic is here. Sure, the gameplay might be similar, but the gameplay is from the classic games and Unleashed, not Generations. And while Forces has Modern’s Boost gameplay and Classic Sonic with his gameplay, there’s one thing the game is missing in order for it to BE a Generations 2, and thats the “generations” part. As they are not traveling through the generations of Sonic history. Lastly, there’s a third character in the game that’s not Sonic and is, in fact, a new thing not done in a past game yet. It also takes the Wisps away from Modern Sonic as far as I’m aware aside from the Boosting stuff, which makes sense because why not have “Boosting” be a power up of Wisps and not something he just DOES? Who cares? Whatever they use it’ll be the same thing. As for Classic Sonic’s gameplay, I remember it feeling almost exactly like the Classic Gameplay…. only in a 3D game. It didn’t feel exactly the same, but it didn’t look exactly the same either. It looked and felt like an adaption, and a good one. The stages were fun and creative and so was the gameplay. It wasn’t all easy, it wasn’t also hard to control. It WORKED, it played pretty much the same, felt natural, I don’t think I would even notice the nitpicks on my own because WHO CARES??? I didn’t even KNOW about these things in 90’s as a kid playing the original Sonic games and I’m like a fanatic of the series. Not a delusional one, don’t get me wrong. Couldn’t care less for the storybook games gameplay wise, but I’m just saying…

The director has nothing to do with story elements such as burning cities and edgy villains. By the way, those are traits that made the game interesting and refreshing to so many. This is also not really part of Sonic 06’s downfall so much as it was the gameplay and programming. Sure, the story gets slammed from time to time and no one likes Sonic being kissed by Elise, whether they take their complaints to far for beastiality (which is not really a good complaint in a series with anthros) or because people just thought it was dumb. BUT, it’s not a big deal, and the story gets a pass or praise more often than slammed compared to the gameplay. This game so far seems to be interesting. HOWEVER, we should acknowledge that people were also hyped for 06 when looking at it. So fair point. XD

I’m indifferent on Warren and Graff…. I like their writing style for seamless dialogue and I don’t mind the jokes. I also liked Lost World’s attempt to dive deeper into it and Generations was fine for what little it had. On the other hand, I miss the slightly longer stories with more coolness to it. I do think there’s one too many one-liners, and Lost World’s plot seemed like it was trying to force the idea of depth that wasn’t there, having characters point out to me that something was harsh or dark when it wasn’t in my opinion. :0

It’s just ironic…. It’s apparently got no flaws, which is the flaw. But then how does it have no flaws if being flawless is a flaw? It’s everything you want, which you hate? So you want them to not give you what you want? No wonder they don’t know what they’re doing. It’s playing it safe? Apparently not if it’s getting negative feedback. Playing it safe sounds risky to me. Honestly, I think bringing in Classic Sonic AGAIN and the Egg Dragoon AGAIN is very risky given that they just did that yet they’re playing it up like something new that will excite us, cuz they’re making a GAME. So they’re smart people. How’s their judgement? Who knows. But they DO know how we’ll react to certain things, I can assure you of that. Maybe the game will be a mess and a bore. Who knows. But I, personally, think this game so far DOES look interesting. o3o

To each their own, though. Here’s to hoping we all have a happy ending. lol

17. Drallec
    #17 Drallec 3 August, 2017, 21:53

For all that are really thinking that Graff and Pontac are the writters for the game: No, they aren’t. Nakamura already comfirmed on his Twitter account that the story is written in Japan ( YAY \(^^)/ ). I even think Graff is joking with the fans, i mean he knows his reputation in the fanbase and then he announces that he is the writter for Forces in the most provocative way (“Just a game i wrote, no big deal”), what already turned out to be a lie (Thank you Nakamura :D). So Graff sucessfully trolled half of the Sonic fanbase xD

18. Little paws