Sega Claims Lack of Manic PC DRM Listing “Error”

Sega Claims Lack of Manic PC DRM Listing “Error”

by August 29, 2017 20 comments

A few hours after news broke of Sonic Mania on Steam containing controversial DRM code that, among other things, prohibits offline play, an unnamed representative from Sega published an update acknowledging the DRM should have been listed before launch.

The statement below, in full, has been met with a chorus of negative responses, despite conceding the Denuvo technology should never have required an active Internet connection for play:

Like you, we’ve noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We’re fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we’re investigating reports on that.

We’re also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare [sic] with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

In the hours that have followed, a wave of negative reviews have been posted on Steam largely based on Denuvo’s inclusion alone; now about a quarter of Mania’s reviews on Steam do not recommend its purchase. But just in the past couple minutes, members of the Steam community have apparently found a way to at least circumvent the offline play shutout via a hex editor. We are working to verify the authenticity of the information.

We will continue to bring you updated developments on this sudden turn of events in Mania‘s launch when warranted.

1. MagicalWingLT
    #2 MagicalWingLT 29 August, 2017, 19:48

I’m sure Sega will fix this soon. I don’t think people should be giving the game negative reviews based on something that was clearly not Sega’s fault. It was Steam’s doing not them…

• 'XaDos
      'XaDos 29 August, 2017, 20:20

This IS Sega’s fault. They were in charge of the PC version Not Taxman or Stealth.

• StumbleReel
      StumbleReel 29 August, 2017, 21:12

…wut?

• Tomoki
      Tomoki 31 August, 2017, 13:42

This was not Steam’s doing. This was all on SEGA Europe. Developer’s are allowed to CHOOSE whether or not a game has DRM. None of the previous Sonic games on Steam have Denuvo; it’s only Sonic Mania. SEGA Europe are run by a bunch of scumbags. People who pre-ordered the game can’t even get a refund now because of that free copy of Sonic 1 counted as DLC. The whole thing is a big steaming mess.

2. Novarek
    #3 Novarek 29 August, 2017, 22:12

Does not support 21:9 screen format EVEN if the game option tell me the opposite (3440×1440 recognized but I still have the black border with it, typical from 16:9 game on 21:9 screen), the Xbox 360 D-pad isen’t working properly (unplayable with it), caped to 60 FPS…
    Where are the promised optimization for the PC version? In DRM? Ah I see….

• Novarek
      Novarek 29 August, 2017, 22:30

PS: without even mentioning that modding will be strickly impossible on a legit copy og the game, not as long as Denuvo is here…

• SSJSonicXX14
      SSJSonicXX14 29 August, 2017, 22:41

Were you really expecting a retro style 2D to support ultra wide and FPS beyond 60? Any 2D game is unplayable with the 360 D-pad even if the inputs respond to it, I’d rather smash my left thumb with a hammer than use that garbage to play Mania. You’re on a PC you can easily get a Saturn USB pad.

• Novarek
        Novarek 29 August, 2017, 22:50

Absolutely, especialy since the screen option menu of Mania tell me that indeed the game support ultra-wide resolution.
        And of course 2D game are playable with D-pad, far better and reactive than a stick for me.

• Hifihedgehog
      Hifihedgehog 29 August, 2017, 23:15

I have huge complaints about the DRM, but the D-pad controls are working on all my Xbox controllers. You have a failing controller or some other unidentified system issue, my friend. Let’s not become emotional messes over one big issue and think the whole game is one giant disaster. It isn’t.

• Novarek
        Novarek 29 August, 2017, 23:30

@Hifihedgehog Except that I am not the only one to have issue with the X360 controller, for some people the X360 pad is even recognized as a Steam controler by the game xD
        Fortunately there is a workaround to fix most of the issue with Steam Big Picture.

Beside, I’m not saying that Mania itself is a disaster, the PC launch is a disaster, not the same thing.

• Hifihedgehog
      Hifihedgehog 29 August, 2017, 23:17

How do you expect to be able to benefit from higher frame rates in a sprite game? The sprite sheets only have so many frames per second. You could have a higher frame rate, but those extra frames will just be duplicates. This isn’t a 3D title except for the special stages.

• Axx
        Axx 30 August, 2017, 07:01

I think the point is simply that it is supposed to be able to have a higher frame rate and the widescreen…. Because these were things that were stated to be so but aren’t.

Also I don’t think that the claim is that a 2D Game can’t be played with a D pad, because obviously they go together. The claim was that the Xbox 360 D pad sucked. And it would seem that not everyone has the problem but a significant amount of people do. Maybe everyone is having different issues. But the point is that there is a risk due to how common issues in general are.

I have the game for PS4 and I’m used to playing it with the D pad but can also play it with the thumb stick. Everything seems to work fine except for one non-game breaking glitch. That is the music disappearing on where occasions. My girlfriends brother has it on the Nintendo switch and the only issue he has is it is slow going to the home screen. It is most certainly the PC launch that is a mess right now. *shrugs*

• 'XaDos
      'XaDos 30 August, 2017, 00:51

There’s a way to set the aspect-ratio option to 4:3 or even 21:9, but is only available in the Developer Menu (look at the cutting room floor website)

#4 SSJSonicXX14 29 August, 2017, 22:36

The part of SEGA that forced DRM onto Mania is the same part of SEGA that refuses to give it a physical release.

• Novarek
      Novarek 29 August, 2017, 22:52

It’s a sabotage attempt from SoJ toward SoA for me, as usual, putting a DRM into the game of a guy which IS from the modding / fan game community is not an innocent choice.

4. SoYummy69
    #5 SoYummy69 30 August, 2017, 00:28

They wouldn’t have to fix anything if Denuvo wasn’t implemented in the first place.

5. Kabam!
    #6 Kabam! 4 September, 2017, 11:03

Hi, umm, would anyone like to explain to me what DRM or Denuvo is? I’m a casual when it comes to these things so I would appreciate an idiot-proof translation. Thank you.