Reasonable Assessment VIDEO – I Am Terrified of The Sonic Movie

Reasonable Assessment VIDEO – I Am Terrified of The Sonic Movie

by February 27, 2018 15 comments

Paramount is making a semi-live-action Sonic movie. Despite my best efforts to stay positive, I am biting my nails.

Noah Copeland is a somewhat interesting human. He makes music, games, and films, and stands at exactly average height. You can follow him on Twitter @NoahCopeland

1. DTH1971
    #1 DTH1971 27 February, 2018, 15:35

Nice video!

2. Tomtodd774
    #2 Tomtodd774 27 February, 2018, 16:15

Nice video. I too think the movie should be animated and not live action. It’ll doomed from the start if it’s live action given how much Hollywood has actually regressed.

#3 SSJSonicXX14 27 February, 2018, 16:55

I don’t see any reason to be terrified about it as it will just be fun to mock but the real thing to worry about is Sega acting nuts about it like they did with Boom trying to treat it as another multimedia thing where they rush out a terrible movie game in favor or better projects or have the IDW comic derailed for a tie-in. Last year showed the best path to making this franchise respectable and what things made it a joke and this movie is like dangling a shiny object in Sega’s face to distract from that.

4. Shadowbane2009
    #4 Shadowbane2009 28 February, 2018, 07:29

I’m finding it extremely hard to argue points on this cause I’m seeing these same exact worries being spread across Facebook and let me say that I see it all on there without question but I will say this much. I think this is going to come down to a good well thought out executed script by a proper writer and not from a cheap puns draft maker. Not saying it’s all bad but it’s just been a tad dry in recent years. Also if there is a good script being written here… Please for the love of God stop cutting character development up like Swiss cheddar and rushing through shit like they’re in panic mode (looking at FMA: live action adaptation) Sonic is a vast universe of many things. Time compressing things and rushing of plot is not a wise Sam Addams decision and in the end you end up wondering wtf… Feels like one of those wierd overnight dreams that made no sense.

5. Hifihedgehog
    #5 Hifihedgehog 28 February, 2018, 12:08

At least, Wreck It Ralph 2 trailer that dropped today looks amazing. As I understand, Sonic will be reprising his role in it:

• Hifihedgehog
      Hifihedgehog 28 February, 2018, 17:59

My YouTube comment:

This video is so hilarious and entertaining, likely more than what the movie will ever be. Please do more: this is such a fantastic format and abso-positively funny. Either way, at least Wreck It Ralph 2 looks like it will be a great video game movie—and what the Emoji movie should have been. By the way, the automated YouTube closed captioning said: “I don’t think stomachs in the right place to do this.” Yeah, that basically sums it up right there.

6. Kabam!
    #6 Kabam! 28 February, 2018, 17:04

This video was very enjoyable to watch, good job!
    A reasonable assessment indeed.
    The way I see it, kids are going to enjoy this movie no matter what and that is what matters. Adults are so accustomed to Sonic being synonymous with disappointments and low quality at this point that, if the movie is bad, it will surprise no one and the movie will fade away unnoticed. If the movie is good though, then everyone is happy. No harm done either way.

7. Ryan
    #7 Ryan 1 March, 2018, 09:57

It’ll either be a fun pop corn movie or a piece of crap that everyone will forget about in a couple of months. Certainly nothing to be terrified about.

Live action will be fine. Sonic comes to Earth – SA1 style.

I’ve waited for this since 1991. I’ll be 34 when this comes out. I’m still psyched.

• ProjectZuel
      ProjectZuel 1 March, 2018, 12:33

Sonic 06′ was a train wreck and people still cite it to this day as the reason why Sonic sucks etc

If the movie is a piece of crap it could harm the franchise.

• Okuraorca
        Okuraorca 1 March, 2018, 14:23

Because Sonic 06 was a massive trainwreck. It was promoted as Sonic’s first next gen title, a reboot to the series and hyped the heck out of. It was also coming off the back of Shadow the Hedgehog, which was a disaster of a game.
        Then it crashed and burned so spectacularly that people cannot forget it. The fact the gaming press and YouTube crowd also discovered it makes for great click bait as well keep the fires for the game burning.

A crap movie won’t harm the Sonic franchise as much as a string of crap games, because it’s a different medium. It will possibly cause some harm, yeah… But not as much as I think people are fearing.
        A bad movie, unless its really, really, REALLY bad, comes and goes and is forgotten about. Only the ‘so bad it’s good’ movies are remembered.

8. Ryan
    #8 Ryan 1 March, 2018, 20:43

Neither of the shitty Street Fighter live action movies harmed Street Fighter. Tekken movie didn’t damage Tekken. MK Annihilation didn’t hurt MK (the first movie was actually good!!) and the best example: that horrible Mario movie didn’t damage the Mario franchise. It’s a separate medium and most people expect game adaptations to suck before they even see them.

• RobotHobo64
      RobotHobo64 13 March, 2018, 16:28

The first 1994 SF movie honestly wasn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Hell, it’s still a better story than Capcom’s shitty attempt at a story with SFV.

9. Ys
    #9 Ys 2 March, 2018, 09:12

With today’s social media, yeah this will hurt a lot if it bad. Loads of people already crap on sonic, but now they’ll crap on sonic outside of games too. Also the cost of making the movie should hurt a bit.

• Hifihedgehog
      Hifihedgehog 2 March, 2018, 09:37

^This. People who are primarily gamers do not realize how much moviegoers will keep this in the conversation for years to come. The ill-fated Mario movie was still a strong point for discussion for at least a decade from the time of its release anong all my movie buddies. Nintendo deeply regretted it, and any fail like that movie will make SEGA also deeply regret it.

10. LBD