Sonic IDW Facebook Q&A Highlights

Sonic IDW Facebook Q&A Highlights

by March 2, 2018 14 comments

IDW has been communicating a lot with Sonic fans on their Facebook page. Case in point, they just concluded a Q&A, and there was some interesting things to come from it. I live-tweeted them out, so here’s what we learned. Note that each tweet came with a screenshot of the question, so I recommend looking at the screenshots to see what exactly was said.

The one above confirmed that a fan letters/art column will be a thing.

1. Axis
    #1 Axis 2 March, 2018, 19:49

I like what I’m reading here, seems like they will be creating their own stories instead of only adapting the games, still I hope not much of the lore is lost, I still want to see things like the Chaos Emeralds, Angel Island, G.U.N., Infinite and everything related to the Sol Dimension.

P.S. The guy asking for Sticks to be in the comic makes all the people still asking for the Freedom Fighters much more tolerable!

• Paramount Piglet
      Paramount Piglet 2 March, 2018, 22:08

I hope that they can find ways to include as many characters from different branches of the franchise as possible..

• DTH1971
      DTH1971 3 March, 2018, 12:07

There’s were about 10 people who wanted to know if the Freedom Fighters will make it to IDW Sonic – even if it is just Sally Acorn.

2. Skai Cyan
    #2 Skai Cyan 2 March, 2018, 20:26

I’m getting good vibes from this as well, I think the IDW comics are gonna be great for a long time to come.

• DTH1971
      DTH1971 3 March, 2018, 12:09

Archie’s Sonic run ran about 25-26 years. Could IDW’s Sonic run be longer than that?

#3 SSJSonicXX14 3 March, 2018, 06:55

I like how he indirectly acknowledges that modern Tails is a wimp.

4. DaddlerTheDalek
    #4 DaddlerTheDalek 4 March, 2018, 05:11

I like what I hear so far.

5. LogiTeeka
    #5 LogiTeeka 5 March, 2018, 11:44

As much as I like the Freedom Fighters and others to return, I do agree that the question has already been exhausted. People are getting tired of hearing the same thing being asked over and over again. By this point, they’re probably gonna incorporate the characters into the comic just to shut them up.

Just let them establish their own identity first, then we can look forward to what they might have in store for us later.

• DTH1971
      DTH1971 5 March, 2018, 13:47

How can you have IDW Sonic establish its own idenity anyway?

• bigb360
      bigb360 5 March, 2018, 14:11

They’re being coy for one of three reasons.

1) They will feature them, but they want it to be a surprise.
      2) They won’t and they don’t want to alienate the fans who want them yet.
      3) They don’t know and don’t want to make a definitive statement.

Whatever the case, IDW is licensing Sonic, so it will never be its own identity, and they will always be compared to the Archie Sonic series that ran for 25 freaking years. That’s going to happen. Let people wish for their favorite characters to return.

• DTH1971
        DTH1971 5 March, 2018, 14:29

I choose the #1 reason – Maybe Sega and IDW together are keeping the Freedom Fighter fate a secret until after the first several issues of the IDW Sonic comic book are launched or so.

6. Paramount Piglet
    #6 Paramount Piglet 5 March, 2018, 21:44

I just saw this posted on the IDW editors Twitter feed:

THIS is who we want controlling the Sonic comics??? 😛

SEGA may have had mandates in the past, but now I hope they use ’em…… as checks and balances

7. audrevego
    #7 audrevego 6 March, 2018, 09:24

Tails fixed Omega who helped in the final battle, came up with the plan that shut down the Death Egg, helped get Classic Sonic in the fray, found out about Eggman’s plan to destroy the Resistance, and came up with the plan that neutralized the sun dropping in the final battle. Does that not count as Tails being “useful” or do only acts of violence count?

As for the “wimp” thing, holy overblown expectations for a fictional eight year old boy with known self-confidence issues who thought their best friend had died, Batman! I don’t expect real people to handle death well, let alone fictional video game characters.

I mean, good on IDW for having him in an active role in the comics but I’m wondering if some people played the same game/watched the same cutscenes I did.